Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Columbia Education meets 60's Drug Culture

I started reading Tom Wolfe's classic, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, this afternoon in between classes. What d'you know, just 13 pages into the book, Wolfe describes the school bus of the Merry Pranksters as "glowing orange, green, magenta, lavender, chlorine blue, every fluorescent pastel imaginable in thousands of designs, both large and small, like a cross between Fernand Leger and Dr. Strange, roaring together and vibrating off each other as if somebody had given Hieronymous Bosch fifty buckets of Day-Glo paint and a 1939 International Harvester school bus and told him to go do it."

Yes, a breakthrough in Columbia's famed Core Curriculum! I learned about Bosch in my Art Humanities class last spring. Hurrah. I always fancied his work pretty trippy, and this passage, for me, confirmed just this notion.

In other news, tonight the village BBQ'ed for a couple of hours by a mini bonfire, apparently something that happens fourish nights a week. It was delish.
Tali and I also buzzed Josh's hair tonight. I am no longer a hair cutting virgin, mazal tov!

Laila,
Jonah

2 comments:

  1. YAY what a good book
    i love reading your updates, dont stop! woo!
    also, i miss you
    love, sarah q.

    ReplyDelete